Nailsea & Backwell II’s 60 - 0 Yatton III's


This week N&B II's hosted Yatton III's in a must win game to keep pressure on League leaders Clevedon.

N&B started strongly and through good forward domination opened the scoring on 8 minutes.  The pack secured the scrum and the ball was moved wide to the returning Harry Marshall whose pace took him over the try line.

Soon after, Joe Swanson cleared the N&B line with a kick that the chasing Reece Hulland gathered but was unfortunately tackled short.  However, from the ensuing ruck Scrum Half, Ben Cleave, broke blind to score a further try.

There was then a period of stalemate where N&B couldn’t breach the Yatton defence.  But then from a Clevedon line out, the dominant Ben Morris took the line out ball and set up a good position for the N&B backs to move the ball wide again.  The ball again reached Marshall whose pace took him around the outside defence to waltz in under the posts.  This allowed Sam Bigley to convert.

N&B then scored the Bonus Point try when from Forward pressure Steve Gillard collected from the back of a ruck to crash over. 

Then from the final play of the half, Yatton infringed and Matt Stone's quick tap penalty and offload to Bigley allowed him to crash through and then convert his own try for a 29-0 half-time lead.

With N&B’s substitutions, the finishers only strengthened an already dominant pack.  Leo Delazzari's fresh legs allowed him to break through the defence and Corey Dougal was in support to collect the perfectly timed pass to further add to the score.  Bigley again adding the extras.

From the restart, which didn’t go 10 metres, N&B secured the ensuing scrum and from a blindside break the ever willing Marshall was again on hand to run in his hatrick from 50 metres.

Again Yatton disrupted N&B’S momentum and there was a period of stalemate.  This was then broken when the solid Jack Charman, who had moved to Wing as cover, marched in for a try of his own, converted by Bigley.

Man of the Match Marshall, on his return from a broken ankle, then scored his fourth try to further increase the lead.

Then came the final score of the match when the pace of Reece Hulland showed as he collected loose Yatton ball to run the length of the field to score the 10th try. 

With the game brought to an early end the 60-0 result confirmed a strong team performance.  N&B dominated up front with Ben Morris totally controlling the line out and the Back Row knocking the larger Yatton pack throughout.  This allowed the backs time to show their pace to punish the Yatton defence at will.

Next week N&B travel to Clevedon for the top of the table decider.

news articles