Nailsea & Backwell 1st xv 35 – Yatton 1st xv 32

This eagerly awaited local derby clash really did turn out to be a game of two half’s. Yatton's vocal travelling support were well pleased, when kicking off down the slope, N&B were penalised as all their backs were offside just outside the 22, the kick slotted over to go three up.

Yatton were themselves penalised from the kick off for going over the top and Nailsea enjoyed five minutes of possession in the visitor’s territory before handling errors of which both sides were guilty, enabled them to clear their lines to the halfway. Eight minutes later, Yatton's Inside Centre shrugged off a number of tackles to run in under the posts.

On 18 minutes, Nailsea then gifted a converted try away, when not playing to the whistle from a knock on. Both teams probed the opposition, but Yatton looked the more composed. A high tackle led Nailsea into Yatton's 22 but their defence held firm.

On the half hour poor handling again cost Nailsea a converted try from inside their 22 and the home side found themselves 24 down.  Worse was to come as from the restart, slick handling and strong running through Yatton's dangerous backs saw them go over out wide this time unconverted. A final penalty in front of their own posts cost a further 3 points and Nailsea were 32- 0 down at half time.

With all subs coming off the bench and the slope now in their favour, strong running from Tom Crossman and Luke Sharp set Ryan Love free to go over out wide.  This was converted by Elswood - the first of his five conversions.

Nailsea lost a man to the bin, followed by Yatton, just 5 yards from their line as passions rose. After three reset scrums, Luke Sharp crashed over for the first of his brace of tries for the afternoon.  Yatton then lost a second player to a yellow.

A clean gather and offload by Winger Marshall saw Centre Cleaves go over for his first try.

Crossman’s solidity under the high ball and direct running saw Love take the home side back into Yatton territory who were again penalised.  From the resulting lineout, the ball was moved slickly through the hands to Sharp who crashed over for his second try.

Nailsea were forced to defend for the next ten minutes before breaking out with Jamie Sulivan going over to make it 35-32 at the final whistle with five unanswered second half try's.

Quite some game, and huge heart displayed by the Ravens to come back from such a Half-Time deficit.

news articles

  • N&B Vets invitation to BBQ

    Sat 08 Aug 2020 12:21

    N&B Vets would like to extend an invitation to all followers and friends and families to come and join them for a BBQ. The Committee have agreed to extend happy hour prices for an … view

  • Junior Rugby Returning Soon!

    Mon 20 Jul 2020 09:13

    Rugby is coming back! Nailsea & Backwell are training again with socially distanced sessions following RFU & Government guidance,  so if your child, boy or girl, fancy trying out … view

  • Club re-opens on 4th's how to book

    Thu 02 Jul 2020 22:46

    The club is delighted to announce that it will be re-opening from Saturday 4th July. With safety our our staff and customers paramount, a number changes to our layout and processes have … view

  • Return of gym equipment

    Sat 06 Jun 2020 21:36

    Hi Guys  Can i ask all those players that have borrowed club gym equipment to now return these items to the club on Saturday 13th June between 10am and noon. Many thanks Chairman  … view